Earlier in my blog posts I shared a character profile of Riley Dale containing a few of the many notes I’ve kept on her character. To me, Riley is sort of your classic millennial—a bit full of herself, a bit unaware of real world struggles, and lacking empathy for others. She has a tough journey ahead of her with many moments of growth.
And then there is Oz. Oz is probably my favorite character in the whole trilogy, and definitely the most fun to write about. I can say anything I want through Oz’s voice and it’s okay because, hey, she’s a fictional character! I see Oz as a very tough and strong individual with a fragile soul that she tries to compensate for. Her journey is another one fraught with struggle, hardship, and of course growth. I have great things in store for Oz.
Since I’ve already shared some notes on Riley’s character, I wanted to pass on some of my information on Oz as well to show some of what differs between the two, and some of what they have in common. Enjoy!
- Full Name: Riley Evelina Dale (Goes by Oz)
- Date of Birth: October 17th
- Hometown: Grand Junction, CO
- Alma Mater: N/A. Dropped out of high school.
- Religion: Atheist. Grandmother was Jewish, Grandfather was Presbyterian
- Occupation: Stripper
- First Car: 2000 Honda Civic, Black
- First Kiss: Doesn’t remember
- First Broken Bone: Wrist from falling down a hill
- First Crush: David Duchovny
- Favorite Food: Spaghetti
- Favorite Music: Rock
- Favorite Color: Purple
- Favorite Movie: The Big Lebowski
- Favorite TV Show: X-files
- Hobbies: Gardening, Smoking, Hanging out with friends
- Personality: Strong-willed, independent
- Behavior: Brave, tough
- Habits: Helping her friends
- Relationships: Would do anything for those she considers friends
- Personality: Selfish, Guarded
- Behavior: Condescending, Boisterous
- Habits: Heroin, smoking cigarettes, swearing, sex with randoms
- Relationships: Too afraid to have one, trusts the wrong people
- Hair Color: Natural is Golden Brown, currently dyed dark brown with purple highlights (later in the book she chops it off and bleaches it.)
- Hair Type: Long, wears it straight. Later, short and choppy.
- Eye Color: Green
- Height: 5”3
- Weight: Fluctuates between 110-114
As I typed the above information, I thought more about how different the two characters are, even though they are very much the same. Despite that, one of the similarities that stands out to me is both girl’s fear of relationships. For Riley, she is afraid to put herself out there and be rejected (as she was at the beginning of book one). Her anxiety issues make it hard for her to relax and be someone that would be desirable to a partner. For Oz, she fears being in a relationship because she sees herself as damaged goods. She thinks no man will treat her well, and that she is the only person on the planet who truly cares for her well-being.
It will be interesting to see where these two go, and if they can ever get past the internal obstacles holding them back from their full potential. Even though I know where the story is going, it is still exciting to write each new chapter and gain a broader perspective on who these girls are and who they will become.